Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Monday, November 24, 2014

Review - TailWind

I've been meaning to post this for a while, but never seem to get around to writing my reviews. I plan on trying to catch up, starting with my new favourite fuelling method.
I have always had tummy troubles while running. My first issues came as a total newbie uneducated-in-much-of-anything runner with the godawfulness that is Gatorade. The realization came as what felt like a literal kick in the gut during my first half marathon at Nitro Trail in 2011. About half way through my second of two loops I had to dive into the (very conveniently located) bathroom. I felt pretty rough afterwards, and realised I didn't always feel so hot on training runs, but had yet to make the Gatorade connection. After my first marathon (San Francisco) that same year, I fuelled with a mix of Gatorade and Gu. Oh, was I sick. Still didn't make the connection, for another year or so. Running took a step back for various reasons, and it wasn't until the wonderful discovery of trails, combined with the foot-saviour of Altras that I began to question what was happening. I had graduated from massage school as a therapist and health educator, and knew the questions to ask myself. I was a lot more clued in on nutrition and physiology, and began looking in to alternatives.
Go rider, go runner, go Cyd, go spelunker, go climber
I finally discovered TailWind in February, and placed my first order on the trust of many trail running strangers who promised no gut bombs. The order (and all subsequent orders) have arrived very promptly (even accounting for the fact we usually have to wait an extra day here). The box contained the two flavours I had ordered, complete with our names hand-written on the bag, a sample of the caffeinated flavour, a few stickers, and a hand-written thank you note. Yay for personal touches of small companies.

It took some experimenting to find the right balance of calories and flavour for me, and the first real test came at the end of March at Golden Gate half. I used seven level scoops for 70oz of water, and had no cramping during the race, pee'd appropriately (colour and frequency), and had no residual soreness in the days following the race. I have since gone down to six scoops for 70oz and carrying electrolyte tabs if I feel I need a little extra. This stuff mixes up clear, really does dissolve fast in water, and doesn't make a science experiment of your hydration bladder if you forget about it (two weeks in my truck, rinse twice and I was good to go! [Not that I recommend leaving it like that]). I've also left the mixed up tailwind in my fridge for four or five days and had it taste fine on my next long run. I would recommend new, sealed bags for airport carry-on just to avoid questions, as opposed to my aid-station solution of putting the amount of refill I need in a ziplock baggie.

The best news ever? TailWind doesn't make me sick. It keeps me hydrated. It tastes delicious all the time (even after puking at my 50 - I would have liked some plain water to swill my mouth out, but I could still stomach the TailWind). The only times it's failed me have been user-error. In April I mixed it up half strength for a 50-mile endurance ride, the idea being to supplement with real food (I don't have the same issues eating at rides that I do running). This would have been perfect except... I forgot my snacks. I drained my pack on the first 18 mile loop, but was behind on calories and elytes, and was playing catch up all day. The second time was at Big Basin where it was ridiculously hot for my pasty-self and the second aide was out of water so I couldn't refill. The third had water but I was sulking about a missed cutoff and stomped away with only water, not taking the time for Tailwind (the whole thirty seconds it would have taken... dumb mistake). Other than occasional dixie cup of coke or ginger ale it was all I used at Salt Point. I did notice at Headlands 50 I could have used some extra calories and wanted to chew something, and have been experimenting with real food substitutes. I have heard of people successfully using it for 100-mile ultras with nothing else. Perhaps with more conditioning I could get to that point, but the idea of ~30 hours without the act of eating something is a little daunting, and maybe not good for my brain. I like eating.
Mandarin Orange
Lemon
Raspberry Buzz
(Caffeinated)
My last order came with 'stick-pack' samples, pre-measured ready to go. I have been saving these in my pack for emergency refills due to my bad planning. They are too small for a full refill, but would be perfect if I need to top off the pack until I get to a drop bag.
200 calories per stick
I have yet to try my caffeinated sample, simply because I haven't been out long enough to need it yet. I'm sure it'll come in handy towards the end of Ordnance next year though, that's going to be a very long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment