Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Nearly a former-runner

When training for ultras, I don't recommend taking three weeks off and sitting a lot and eating all the bad things! I have five(?) weeks until my next 50k. After spending eight days in Hawaii (little physical activity) then having my mum and nana in town for two weeks reduced my running and strength training (and riding) to basically nil. I tried to run on holiday, but my trail looked like this:
Or this:
Far from ideal. It was also hot and humid compared to what I'm used to:
This was at 7am!

My guests left Saturday, so I kicked my training cycle back off on Sunday with a local 5k (raising money to help the salmon lol). I ran 28:43 (my PR is 27:35) so for not having run in so long I was okay with that. T came with Ruger as cheer squad and photographer. 
Not sure where the crazy grin came from lol
The face I apparently make after trying to sprint on non-running legs :/

I didn't feel like I was really 'back' until we hit the trails at Russian Gulch yesterday. I had to really watch my footing, seems I'm out of practice. Didn't fall though :)

I think I'm going to try and focus on getting to and through Pine to Palm, a 100 miler in Oregon next September (that is also a Western States qualifier). Another option would be Rio del Lago, closer to home, in November. I need to research that race some more though, it was only just added back as a 2016 qualifier. In the meantime I have Woodside 50k next month, and Ordnance 100k at the end of January as my focus. Better get back on the wagon!


No comments:

Post a Comment