Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Golden Gate Headlands Recap

A gorgeous day with great trails and spectacular views! Saturday was pouring rain, and Monday was worse, but Sunday was glorious sunshine and perfect temperatures :) There were just under 200 runners in the half marathon, so the trails weren't overcrowded, and other than a short stretch at the start there was a lot of space for people to settle in where they could run their own pace. I didn't sleep too well the night before so getting up early was no problem. I started sipping on some lightly mixed TailWind as I haven't found a good race day breakfast yet (though I think half is the longest I'll get away with not eating before hand).
How much stuff do I need for 13 miles? Hate to see my Derby packing
Hot shower helped loosen up the strange-bed-stiffness, and no coffee was to be found. A little nerves as T and I checked out to drive to Fisherman's Wharf and pick up my dad - the night before my truck didn't start, but a car pulled in and offered a jump. The likelihood of that happening again at 6.35am on a Sunday was slim. Luckily it started right up and we were on our way. My dad had grabbed coffee for us from the lobby of his hotel so I was bright eyed and bushy tailed by the time we pulled into the parking area. There were volunteers making sure there was enough room for everyone (354 runners total) but they were apparently a little fuzzy on the direction we needed to head for our ten minute walk to the start. Nothing like adding a little extra distance :)
Runners start gathering
The beginning of the day seemed a little (a lot..) disorganized, but oh well, things don't always go to plan and it didn't really affect us. The start time was moved to 8.30, and there was a staggered start for the three distances. The marathoners set off about 8.45, we would follow after ten minutes, and the 10k ten minutes after that. We all gathered at the start for the pre-race briefing from Dan, founder of Enviro-Sports. He mentioned a few times we could use his name in vain, and if we would all please look to our right we could see where we're headed:
Nervous laughter?
Dan asked who of the marathoners was making their first try at the distance, and pulled a couple of runners out in front to lead the crowd in America The Beautiful - as if they weren't already nervous enough. We briefly considered adding our own rendition of God Save The Queen, but nobody needs to hear us sing... Then it was time for the marathoners to go.
Go go marathoners!
Jumping around to keep warm after giving T my sweatshirt, we awaited our go-time. It didn't take long. Out of the field and across the road to a great single track trail. It seemed like everyone had self-seeded pretty well, and it wasn't long before we hit the beach where we were sorted pretty quickly.

We hit the end of the beach and started up a paved fire road. The pavement turned to dirt road, which turned to trail. We went up and up.
Little coloured dots heading up up up
Then comes my big dislike - trail steps! Bleh! Little did I know what we were in for...
Noooo....
Really?
Ugh
But the further up you go, the better the views get...

The great thing about having amazing views, is nobody judges you for stopping to take pictures, therefore giving yourself a quick breather. Most of us were hiking most of the hills (and often passing those who were attempting to run the whole thing - good for them, they are tougher than me!). We also had a few people offer to take pictures of both of us - generosity provides a breather also! 

Everytime we thought we were near the top, we went around the corner and up some more. The photo doesn't do this section justice - steep, loose rock surface, and very happy to be going up not down!
Really wish I could grab mane and go...
Then finally finally it's time to run...
Nice long stretch about two miles of gradual down


Running and taking pictures at the same time is a great skill to have, and a proud talent for the runner that falls! I've actually done pretty well, and tripped a few times but no real spills for over a month. This trail finished up running through Miwok Livery Stables. Pretty sure that's a bargain place to board... This was also our first of two aid stations, and down the hill at the car park for the trail head was an outhouse! Very happy to see this, I'm used to being able to duck behind a tree, but this race was very exposed the whole way. I had noticed as we came down that a few runners with green tag bibs were heading back up against the flow. Green tag meant 10k. I had spotted at a trail junction near the top of the hill a couple of subtle green ribbons indicating they should take the left trail while we went right, but no sign. A couple of 10k'ers were at the five-mile-aid, and pretty pissed about it. The volunteers were giving them the option of continuing on the half marathon course and changing the distance, or heading nearly two miles back up the hill to finish their race (turning a 10k into a ten miler!). I was surprised to see so many of them take that option, but it's not my race. Dad filled his water bottle (borrowed my Nathan waist pack) with some neon gatorade. Then began a two mile climb. This one wasn't steep, but it did go on forever! Some mountain bikers were sharing this trail with us; their legs were amazing!! And the strength it must take to be pedalling up the hill, as well as the control to balance so slowly (my hill-hiking pace). I felt weak next to them.
C'mon, let'sgo!

Patience?
Above picture zoomed
This stretch seemed to go surprisingly quickly, maybe because it was a steady hike, able to keep a consistent pace, and pick off runners ahead of us. Still taking breaks to mess around some more:
Super Cyd
Once we hit the top, we had another long stretch of gorgeous runnable trail, with about two minutes worth of forest; I was grateful for the shade at this point, a little more pink than was shirt reflection. I sunscreened my face, but not my arms and legs.

Glimpses of the bridge
Further up the trail, we stopped to get pictures with the golden gate in the background. Before taking any, a kind hiker offered to take it of us together. I didn't think to check the pictures, thanked him, and went on our way. Do you see the bridge here?
Whoops, missed the shot here...
Oh well, it's still a good picture, just not the one we were aiming for. Around this time a woman we nicknamed the blue lady (royal blue shirt and matching capris) had mentioned she was using us as pacers, if she could keep us in her sights she could make it to the finish. We leapfrogged a little with the picture taking.
A rock and the blue lady
Note in this picture how nice and runnable this track looks? Smooth, not steep? Bear that in mind...

We hit the second aid station at mile ten, one of the parking areas for bridge views. I had my tailwind in my pack, so other than a half cup of plain water at this aid, I wanted to see if it was enough to get me through. My dad grabbed a half banana, scoffed it, and off we went, just three miles to go, and a very easy to run stretch. I tried to text T with an update of where we were but couldn't get signal, and while the views were good, I had similar pictures already, so put my phone away and settled in to enjoy the run.

BAM! Down I went!. Owieeee! Full on superman styly. Same ground as shown above, so can't blame it on rocks or roots. D'oh! We were only half a mile past the aid station, but a quick recount, and no serious injuries. Very dirty, a few blood spots, hands are throbbing, but the longer I stay still the more I'm going to feel it. So off we go. Down down down to the road we drove in on. A concerned looking hiker glances at my leg "Oh, that looks like it hurts". We follow the road for a brief while, and know we must be nearly back cos there's the car and it was just ten minutes walk to the start/finish line. We turn off onto a trail, but it goes up. No! No more up. Round the corner, and up! Are you kidding me? Then we go down, and there's the finish. Except it isn't, we turn away. Grr. But this gives us time to catch up to and pass someone. Yay for a little boost. Scooting down the last little hill, the photographer is there. That's just mean, how are we meant to look like fit and fast runners at the end of our race? Round the corner and it's a final sprint, passing one more person, and across the line to crash in the grass.
Not hungry, not thirsty, not crampy, good job tailwind and new pack :) T had made friends with the volunteers while we were gone, who gladly set her to work cutting bananas and handing out t-shirts.She also made friends with the medic, and got to see just how much of a pansy I am getting an owie cleaned. But he had fun telling us about the bad-tempered stallion Samson he met at a dressage show last weekend and not laughing at me.. Thanks Mr Medic! I am a wimp, but at least I admit it.

Collected our t-shirts, and headed back to the car. We had a great day :)

3 comments:

  1. OMG those pictures! Those views! I am totally doing that race next year.
    (And your poor knee, owwwww!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fantastic! Organisation not fantastic but the trails and views totally make up for it, definitely recommended :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great race! The views looked FANTASTIC. and owchie about your knee. As a fellow "trail kisser" I fully sympthethisze. ONWARD TO DERBY. Can't wait to meet you IRL.

    ReplyDelete