Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Don't Blow Away

California has been in a drought for a while now. Until the last few weeks, during which we've had more rain than we did all of last year. It isn't going to fix the drought overnight, but it's a good start. It does mean that I haven't ridden in a month (hmm, five year old very green Arab, better sit tight when I do get on lol). I am more willing to run in the rain than I am to ride. Partly because Mr Bugsy lives in a field full time, and is most likely very wet, not good for saddling. Partly because I ride with vague permission on private land and don't want to tear up the trails. Partly because my horse is a sometime-idiot, and tends to fall over himself on dry ground not paying attention, slick clay is asking for trouble. Partly we have saddle fit issues, and he is still growing, so time off isn't a really big deal anyway.
My favourite dork :)
But I can run! I call it mental training, and I hate the treadmill, so it's the best option. Due to conditions I've been forced on the road more than I would like, since running in the woods with all the animals displaced is not a good idea. I did try JugHandle today though, and made it a grand total of 0.3 miles before being turned around by a huge fallen tree. If I tried really hard I might have been able to push through it, but it didn't seem worthwhile, since I know the ones that were down before aren't cleared, and more than this one was probably blocking the way. I headed back to the truck and decided to loop the headlands. This only adds a half-mile, so I ventured out to the roads. I knew full well that going back into town, I wouldn't want to go out, and six miles on the mill would be awful. The rain wasn't too bad, and the wind was chilly, but not too bad either. Being on the road was no fun though. I saw a couple of off-shoot trails, and considered one or two. Both times I realised they were not real trails, and while possibly runnable, it wouldn't be a smart move. (Local "cash crop" rife in this area - getting shot would certainly put a damper on my run. Road it is!) 

Bleh
I did my best to grin and bear it, until I got to the farthest point I could be from my truck. Then there was sideways rain that felt like being pelted in the face with nails. I had to squint to see anything. And the wind. As I was running along the hedgerow, I heard a loud cracking sounding, followed by a big crash. About ten minutes later, there was another. I knew heading straight back to the truck wouldn't get my scheduled seven miles, but this was dumb. The closer I got to the truck, the worse the weather was getting, until I found a vacant looking porch and hid under there hoping it would ease. The rain died off, but the wind got much worse. I was getting so cold huddled there that it seemed better to keep moving where I had dry clothes and a heater. As I left the village to pick up the trail I heard another tree giving up. And realised I left my truck parked under a tree that loses branches all the time. Genius over here :) I finally made it back to find my truck in one piece, but not until the wind got strong enough to nearly bowl me over. At least I got most - 5.6 miles - of my run outside. Once home and dry I managed to make it to the gym before the 1pm Christmas Eve closing time to finish up. Tomorrow I go meet more of the FogDodgers, a small crowd for Christmas but will be nice to run with new people. If only I didn't have to get up at 5.45 lol
This cow was happy enough :)

No comments:

Post a Comment