Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Big Feet!

Today was my last longish run before Woodside, with my plan calling for eight miles. Last night there was a Zeppelin cover band playing that we wanted to see. Needless to say this called for numerous beers, closing the bar, and deciding on the way home that I NEEDED fries. The only place open after 2am was Denny's, and since everybody was starving, that was where we found ourselves. Mmm hot chocolate, whipped cream, and moons over my hammy! So awful and amazing and delicious and disgusting all at the same time. I mentioned aloud that today's eight was going to suck but it was so worth it! Note to self: be sure to leave good snacks at hand when going drinking.
I love panda cookies!
The 'getting up early for pony-riding' was definitely not going to happen (also, the weather was not cooperating, so nothing lost). Seven-, eight-, and nine-o'clock came and went. Nine-thirty I made a very strong cup of tea, and finally left the house an hour later. I picked up some pandas (new favourite running snack) and headed to JDSF to do the same loop I did on Thursday with a little alteration to make it eight without having to mess with an out and back. Once parked, I sat and messed about in the truck, not wanting to get out and get going. Once I finally got moving, I was surprised to find it wasn't as bad as I was anticipating. Even the uphill start was okay. Maybe I'm getting better at this running thing after all :)

Odd things go through my head when I run, especially by myself. Recently I was considering whether or not getting a head injury and waking up having lost my memory would mean I would speak with a true English accent again? Would I have forgotten that I 'speak American' now? Today, I used my foot as size perspective for a photo I was taking on the trail. I realised that most people wouldn't have reason to know that I have such big feet for such a little person. Really, not quite 5'3 and size 9.5 (US)? Then it came to me! I am a big-pawed puppy! This is why I fall down all the time. I just don't know what to do with all that extra foot. And why switching to mid-foot striking has helped my falling as well as my running. Yep, that has to be it, I just haven't grown into my feet yet!
And the picture I was taking with my foot? Another bear print. This was in a different area from the ones on Thursday and not as fresh. I didn't get too too concerned since this one had a deer imprint that was fresher, and I hadn't seen any deer either. Although I was still on alert just in case, especially as I was coming up to an area that we've nicknamed 'Baby Bear Corner' from when my mare and I were about to go around a switchback putting us right between a mama and her two cubs. But that's two different prints and an encounter in a week. Definitely need to be careful running by myself in such secluded locations.

Today was Day 14 of my running streak, 71.7 miles covered, 10,052' climbed (over 7500' of that this week).


2 comments:

  1. ooohhh....I wonder why my also large-for-my-height feet is why the midfoot strike/zero drop works forme so well too? Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense

      Delete