Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Tapering and Packing

Squeeee it's nearly time to run. I'm particularly excited for this race, I really feel that the ultra finish is within my grasp! LS50 was a minor catastrophe - I had no idea what I was in for, I wasn't a trail runner, I busted my knee which screwed my training, living and studying away from J and working was taking more of a toll than expected, pony troubles, and then a minor slip on wet grass took me out. Rubbish! Then had Big Basin last month not had all the elements it did, I could have got it. I had felt pretty good considering up to the aid station with the cutoff, it was only sulking and screwing myself that made me feel like crap physically. A number of factors both in and out of my control contributed to a godawful race but I finished (even if it wasn't the distance I signed up for). This time around I will get it. I haven't made any agreements to run with anybody, I have had some solid training runs, the morning won't be so stressful, cut-offs are more generous, and many more things! Wheeee! I WILL be an ultrarunner after this weekend!
View from Wednesday's run

But apparently I'm really bad at tapering. Here's my ten pre-run days:
10. 7/23  Gym, 11m hilly run, 10m ride (+pony-trample)
9. 7/24 5m Hike (Couldn't run due to pony-trample)
8. 7/25 Gym, 6.5m Hike (Still couldn't run)
7. 7/26 Off
6. 7/27 18m ride
5. 7/28 5m run, Gym (Got massage :D)
4. 7/29 Yoga
3. 7/30 Gym (light weights), 8m hilly run (Shortened mid-run - planned 11 then remembered 'I should be tapering')
2. 7/31 Off
1. 8/1 Gym (body weight)
**8/2 Race

T keeps telling me off for whining about not running Wednesday evening, today, or tomorrow. But I so desperately want to play with my new toy. IT'S HERE!
And it's not too huge on my wrist:
Much more comfy than my Garmin
I'm ridiculously excited about this, and it will get its own post after I've used it properly. Helps that I got an amazing deal on it (I've been eying it for a long time). Yippee! But no running, you're supposed to be tapering. Badly..

Other new gear includes the compression shorts, which had their test run on Wednesday and performed wonderfully, and didn't feel any hotter/heavier than the shorts I was wearing before. Also disappointing for my girly 'things must match' side, there was no physical reason to not wear the red Acme shirt on Saturday, it was actually pretty good to run in! And at least I don't have to look at the colour-cluster-f**k that will be me on the trail :D  And with T there as a non-runner I shouldn't be able to forget my socks this time!! I'm also bringing my music as a backup, I know multiple loops is mentally hard for me, and this race passes through the start/finish three times. "But my car's right there.......whine whine"

We're camping at Timber Cove Landing in my shiny new tent, bought a couple hours ago. J has a great one for camping, but it's a little involved to bother with for a 'need a crash pad for the night' and needing to be packed up and headed to the start by 7.30. Also much bigger than we need now it's just T and I, the boys have to work :( Timber Cove is only 15 minutes from Salt Point, and check-in begins at 7.45, with an additional briefing for newbies at 8.10. Gun is at 8.30! Did I mention I'm excited? All but my food is packed, so I can leave right after work tomorrow! I have time between the gym and work to cook and mash my sweet potato (I might finally have found a breakfast food that works for me), and throw everything else in the cooler. 

I WILL be an ultrarunner!
Banana slug on a mushroom, spotted on Wednesday's run :)



1 comment:

  1. Wooo! I'm so excited for you, dude! I'll be thinking about you tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete