Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Monday, July 28, 2014

Nearly Ultra Time

Yay, as I started typing the title to this post, FedEx knocked on the door with my new Under Armour shorts! Will be able to get a test run in them on Wednesday to make sure they don't ride up so I can wear them Saturday :) Shame I won't be able to test my other very exciting new thing that I'm very excited about assuming I can make it work.
Also J is asking please will I wear my brewery shirt (Acme Ale cycling jersey) to represent North Coast. Why might this be a problem for me? My Nathan hydration pack is pink and purple, my hair is half purple, my favourite running skirt is pink. My jersey? Red! This is rubbish. Also highly unimportant, but I can't help it if I like things to match. Wannabe-ultrarunner problems. Maybe it's a sign to get a new pack? Although I really haven't had this one long. I need to do longer races so I can leave a completely ready-to-go pack with a crew and justify having two. And all my pony things match, so why not my running things? I promised to test it on Wednesday and see how it worked anyway.

T and I went for a run this morning - very motivated to hit the trail in time to be back in town at the gym by 7.30 to set up for our strength class. Other than occasionally bumping into myself, the bruises aren't bothering me any more; hiking last week was pretty painful, especially the downhills. Pony did a nice job of smooshing me, but I got lucky with nothing broken (and the black eye never materialised, though any pressure on the bridge of my nose does makes me see spots). Here's how they look five days post-trample:
Knee also kept twinging at trot on yesterday's ride
Nothing like laying in the dirt wondering if you just broke your femur, and realising that since you're not screaming it's probably okay, then looking up to see that your pony did come back to check if we're going to play. And he was perfectly behaved on the ride home to redeem himself. I need to look into a spot tracker type thing, I could so easily have been knocked out, or been somewhere with no reception and actually broken my leg and then at least they would have a rough idea of where to come looking for me. Anybody have any experience with one of these gadgets?

Squeee, Salt Point in four and a half more sleeps (half being the fact that I rarely get much 'sleep' the night before a race no matter how many legs we're using). Then I WILL be an ultrarunner :)

3 comments:

  1. The gnarly bruises look much improved!

    I've got a spot gen3, and I like it. It lives strapped to my camelback, actually (some people attach them to the horse, some people attach them to the person - husband strongly prefers to find me and not my horse, hmph.) It doesn't work everywhere I play - it really does need a clear shot of the sky for several minutes to get locked on to a satellite, so it's not going to do much in the redwood forests where you usually run. It works great in Nevada, but rather poorly in the western Sierras.

    Good luck at Salt Point!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, yeah my hubby would rather find me, he's already fairly indifferent to pony, and will be particularly displeased if we've parted company. Although I do have a section for pony on my interactive RoadID with two horsey friends to contact if I can't take care of him, and two vet contacts in case he's hurt as well.

      Is the Spot like the gps watches, it'll hold fairly well once it has the signal? Most of my trail heads are in clear enough areas for my Garmin to pick up, and it's not always accurate under the trees but doesn't usually drop signal.

      Delete
    2. I don't really know. I didn't pay for Super Advanced Tracking, so mine only sends out a map blip every ten minutes. If it doesn't have satellite access, it can't send out the blips for mapping (or emergencies, but I've never had to use that!) And so far I've only used it in heavy mountain tree cover (performs poorly) or open Nevada skies (performs beautifully).
      The worst-case scenario is that I have to crawl along, holding the spot, til I find a meadow. I just tell myself that's not worse than the basic worst-case scenario where I have to crawl til I find people?
      Man, I'm a great saleswoman.

      Delete