Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

One Year Streaking!

I made it! I began my running streak on November 24th, 2014, and I'm still going. I wasn't my smartest, and didn't connect that the 'streakaversary' day and Day 365 are not the same, so RSD365 was a measly one mile run/walk with our pooch. Today at least was a five miler at Big River with the FogDodgers. Initially I had riding plans, but courtesy of a skunk vs my buddy's dogs that got scratched. Due to last night's downpour (Yippeeeee!) the trails would have been super slick, and neither of our pony's are hoof placement geniuses so it may have been for the better that we didn't go. I nearly went back to bed, until I remembered it was Tuesday. I was hoping the rain would continue, not just for anti-drought purposes (still on a Stage 3 water emergency restriction) but so I can test my new rain jacket. I've worn it for a couple of rides, and this morning's run, but it didn't actually rain during any of those. Eventually! The sky at Big River was pretty dramatic when we set out, and an hour later back at the vehicles we had blue sky. A wonderful view for a year of running!
We've been route scouting on S's course for the Mendocino Coast 50k on our Saturday trail runs. We went the wrong route last time, but found a really fun single track through the woods that cuts out a section of rocked road. While not the race course, it's a good section for training runs and rides. I studied the map some more, got an improved map from S, picked the brain of the local bike shop owner, and declared that I knew where we went wrong and had a good idea of how to fix it. There was one tricky turn that I wasn't sure we'd find, and we actually stopped a couple of times to check the map and be sure we were on the right track. We finally came to the turn in the road, and I promptly do a happy dance through the woods singing out "I'm a good route finder". The bottom of the dirt road turned into single track, with a couple of options. Softly continuing "I'm a good route finder" we tried one route, only to come across a murder cabin (actually some kind of water level measuring area, but when you're in the deep dark woods it might as well be a murder cabin). We couldn't find more trail, so turned back and took the second option. This was another fun single track requiring a lot of attention on footing, particularly going across or around some dilapidated foot bridges. Oddly, the best condition one we saw was the only one with a sign cautioning two people only. There were lots of bridge building materials stashed along the trail (and some tiny solar panels?), but we can only assume they're letting the wood weather a bit to keep the authenticity :) We came to another junction and I figured out which of our three options we should take, proudly explaining my reasoning, which S didn't disagree with. All is well until I recognise a spot on the trail from a FogDodger run a few months back, having made a mental note at that time to come back and explore. I mentioned we may have gone wrong somewhere, and sure enough I had somehow brought us in a big loop and we were now a mile down the trail from where we started. Hey, at least if I'm going to go the wrong way I can get us back to our vehicles. Again, this is going to be a great training route, but still not part of the race course. I once again know where we went wrong (where I did my happy dance...oops) and will be setting out to explore again soon. Of course, fun had to be poked at S who, as the race director, should really know the route! Other than confirming this last section, we only have about a three or four mile section to explore through the Mendocino Woodlands. It's going to be a gorgeous course, and very runnable with enough challenge to keep things interesting.
Never know when you might need mini heavy equipment...

3 comments:

  1. Can you post about your rain jacket and if it was good?

    Congrats on the streak. Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I will do a jacket post, just waiting for either a ride, or preferably a run, with actual rain falling lol

      Delete
    2. Thanks! And I will do a jacket post, just waiting for either a ride, or preferably a run, with actual rain falling lol

      Delete