Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Changes Are Coming!

I had an incredible run today. In the world of running it wasn't anything spectacular, but it was fun, faster than usual, and just not that hard. I took one of my favourite trails, the bluffs and Staircase trail up to the pygmy forest. I had an early client in Mendo, so took running clothes with me, figuring I could change in my truck to run at JugHandle which I pass on my way home; if I got another client leaving me with a gap in my day I could run at Big River, which is right outside my window at work! It was cold enough for tights and to use my buff as a beanie, even though I didn't actually hit the trail until 10.30 (not looking forward to running at 5:30am tomorrow, brrr). There was ice in the puddles at the boardwalk at the top end of the trail, and plenty of frost elsewhere. A few tourists braved the chilly weather and were enjoying a hike, mostly bundled up with steaming cups of coffee - apparently we don't do Winter very well here haha. Unfortunately for them, a cold run gets things flowing, if you catch my drift. Slight apologies, tourists, for the snot rockets you were unfortunate to experience. Can I mention how effective it is for clearing airways on the run? Try it sometime, you will understand why this most unattractive of habits is regularly performed. To be fair if I had seen them, I may have waited until I was around the corner, and it's not like I hit them or anything extra gross. :D
New shoes getting to enjoy the view

I love love love my new Altra Superior 2.0s! I kept putting off ordering them, since when I upgraded my Lone Peaks I was disappointed, and I really enjoy running in the 1.5s. There is a slight increase in stack height, but the removable stone guard was not in the shoe. Since most of my trails don't need the stone guard, I haven't put it in yet, and the feel in these shoes is amazing. Yesterday S and I were route scouting (and not getting lost! Sorry for oversleeping and being 1/2 hour late - I am bad bad running buddy) for the Mendocino Coast 50k. We ran on dirt road, sand, trail, mud, dry pavement, and icy pavement. The only time I didn't love them was the short section of dry pavement. The super grippy treads were really soft, and it felt a little like having suction cups on my feet. I think they will wear down much faster than the 1.5s if I do too many pavement miles in them. All the more reason to squeeze in more trail miles, right? I might add in the stone guard for my run at Big River on Thursday and see what difference that makes. Hands down my new favourite shoe! Even though I doubt I will get any trail miles in the next few days (heading north to see my bestie, ride, and give massages) I might throw them in the truck just in case.
Superior 2.0 aka My Preciouses (preciousi?)
And the changes? Adjustments to my work situation, which are long overdue, will be giving me more time to ride and run, yet still extra cash flow (Pony shut your ears, we don't need to spend it on vet bills please and thank you!). It will be easier to get time off for races of both varieties, a little more flexibility for training time, and more time for private appointments. I am slowly relaunching my website, and working on a better location to see clients. For the moment I can do outcalls, and have limited availability at my home (no restroom here means it isn't a viable long term solution). Let me know if you're interested in an appointment.
Massage room at Stanford, Big River is my view!

No comments:

Post a Comment