Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Lotteries

Forget the Great Red Cup Debate, this is the season of ultra running lotteries. This is the first year I have bowed to the lottery gods (and none of them care what I drink my coffee from...) Somehow all the races I want to do next year, except our road marathon, are lottery entry.
Gordy Ainsleigh - WS100 founder - credit: Luis Escobar
Western States 100 - is the big one, and my name is already in that hat. UltraSignup has a page where you can check the applicant list, and my name is among 3258 others when I checked at 1pm today (up from 3046 last evening). I can't see if there's any way to find out how many tickets each name has. Last year with two days to go there were about 2500 names, so it looks like it's an even bigger pool this year. For the 2015 race, a single-ticket applicant had a 4% chance of being selected. A guesstimate this year was around 3500 names with 9200 tickets... I'm really counting on low probability, preferring to have more experience under my belt before toeing the line. Just in case, don't cross your fingers for this one!
Way Too Cool - credit Myles Smythe/UltraSportsLive
Way Too Cool 50k - I didn't really care about this race until about 3 weeks before the 2015 event, then I really wished I could go. There is a LOT of runners at this event, which might drive me crazy, but might be fun. Those I know who've run it say it's different having so much company, but no problem. This year it falls 5 weeks before Lake Sonoma, so could be a great training run as long as I treat it as such. Which I'm not very good at...
One of the (many) hills at LS50 - credit Myke Hermsmeyer
Lake Sonoma 50 - My first attempt at an ultra, and my first trail race. (*Note - I don't recommend this race for anyone in that position...) Also, did I mention that 3 months prior I ripped my knee open and it didn't stop bleeding for six weeks? And that I had absolutely no clue what the heck I was doing...? First ultra, first DNF (of only 2), and I want to tackle it again! A relentless but beautiful course.
Bad memories of this hill (twice) at Headlands 50 - credit Lubor Ptacek
Miwok 100k - Between Sonoma and Miwok, I would probably prefer to run Sonoma. The bonus to Miwok is that a sub-16 hour finish is good enough to qualify for 2017 WS100, which would take care of that little task. At a month apart, if I trained really hard over the winter, I could possibly do both, blending recovery and taper with one long run in the middle (Mendocino 50k - April 23). Doable, but I'm less than enthused. Also, stairs...
The waterfall in Russian Gulch, Mendocino 50k
I haven't even really looked at events later in the year, since planning that far ahead is asking for things to go wrong, and it would really depend on how the first six months go. I have a couple races in mind that I would like to try my hand (foot?) at, as well as a few endurance rides that would take up some of my weekends. There are plenty more lottery races as well, but my poor brain can't handle it! With careful planning and some good luck, it would be feasible to do all the above. However, that's a lot of running and racing in a short space of time, and I think that was a big part of my slow recovery this summer. I have race FOMO!

No comments:

Post a Comment