Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Noyo River Run

This morning was one of our local races (we only have two). The Noyo River 10k/5k run/5k walk is a fund raiser for the Mendocino Coast Hospital and the kick starter to 'Wellness Week'. I decided last night to set an alarm to get up in time to register if I wanted to go. Getting up felt like a drag but since I was awake I might as well run. I got to registration early and got my bib:
I had an hour and a half to kill so zipped over to my friends place to take care of her dogs while they're out of town, back at the race by 8.30. I looked around but didn't see anyone I know so spent my time wandering around and even did a (half-arsed) warm up. That felt strange. Soon it was time to go, and we all set off from the hospital parking lot. Mostly everyone self seeded well though there was a little jostling for position as we turned onto the road. Most of the race is on the A&W road, and old haul road along the Noyo River. I left my phone in my truck for safe keeping so didn't take any pictures during the race. While far from what I'm used to, it was hillier than I remembered from doing the 10k a few years ago. But that didn't stop me from setting a PR of 27:31! Yeah I know that's slow, but it's positively tearing along for me :) And it was still good enough to take 2nd in my age group (of six, not two). 
Not bad for having not had any short fast training! My sprint finish even made it down to 5:11m/m (not that I could ever sustain that lol). Avg pace 8:55, fastest mile 8:18. 

No comments:

Post a Comment