Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Forest Trails and a Pony Ride

I've only had four runs back from my race, and this morning was a good test to see how truly I'm recovered. The answer is pretty well, if not 100% yet. I have tight tight hamstrings, enough to feel the odd twinge in my lower back - definitely need to get back on my foam roller. Also pretty sure there's an ITB something going on, maybe fascia related since after the first mile today I mostly didn't feel it. I was feeling brave and headed out to Jackson State Forest by myself today. I have seen a bear out here on foot (luckily spotted by my dog before I tramped right on up to it) and nearly got between a mama and her cubs out on my mare a couple of years ago. Also a stalking mountain lion incident - very unusual behavior, yes it was late but we were three adults on horseback and it followed us a little over two miles back to the truck. It's such a great area to run and ride in, some good hill climbs, nothing really technical (although that's fun too), hopefully I don't scare myself out of there. 
There are miles and miles and miles of trails out here, mostly old logging roads. Some are more road-like than others (some have recently been regraded - very disorienting). There used to be a 50 mile endurance ride in the area I've been running. The trails for Chamberlain Creek endurance ride all connect, also. There's so much that I don't know about. I need to find someone who wants to run crazy long distances with me so I can learn more! If only running and riding paced better together, it would be much easier to find a buddy. 
Very basic map at the trailhead - it won't help you get anywhere!
If you're missing out on single track, at least pick a pretty dirt road :)
Managing to avoid wet feet
Extra colourful today

I have at least got somewhat closer to a riding buddy for taking Bugsy out without tagging along with a guided trail ride. My friend is leasing another friend's horse and while it does take a little while to for us both to get to the meeting point, it's plenty feasible on days we want a longer ride. I borrowed M's other horse (my mare's sire, though gelded long ago) this afternoon to show A how to get to the meeting point, and show her a decent loop she can ride by herself until she learns more trails. We had a great ride!
Zydeco/Baby Z/Markov Zorro

A on Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment