Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Post-GGH Thoughts

My big concern with running this race was the fact that I'd already been offered a horse for two days of endurance (50 mile) riding next weekend. I contemplated doing the full, half, or not running at all, and decided the half would be safe. The marathon would likely take too much recovery time, but I wanted to run. I left signing up until late so I wasn't committed. I was still a little concerned about how sore I might be, since this would only be my second trail race - the first since LS50 a couple years ago (I'm not counting Nitro, that wasn't real trails...). I also haven't done a half marathon in a few years. I decided I was treating it as a training run, a good marker for what I need to do to be ready for a May 50k. Let's go have fun!

The best news? I'm not sore! Don't get me wrong, I am sore as hell from my fall, but if not for that I feel like I could go for a few easy miles tomorrow. I think the TailWind has a lot to do with that. I threw a couple of gels in my pack just in case, but never even thought about them, and didn't need to stop at the aid stations. For a longer run I would want to carry salt just in case, but hopefully snacking on salty foods like dipped potatoes would be enough. The pack was perfect, no achy shoulders. I made up my tailwind about seven scoops for the two litres. This seemed just about right. I didn't drink everything in my pack, but may have done on a hotter day. I wasn't hungry or thirsty at all during the race, which considering I skipped breakfast is pretty good. I had a protein shake on the way back into SF, and we stopped in San Rafael on the way back to Fort Bragg for delicious salty fries. Then just sipping water all the way home. A friend's birthday barbecue was that evening so some Pranqster and delicious chicken was my recovery plan.

I definitely need some hill work before Mt Diablo, which I'm thinking is the 50k I want to do. It might suck. A lot:



 T is thinking about the 25k (though if she sees this it might change her mind - so don't show her, ok?) And it looks good from up there:
Photo from pctrailruns.com site
I also definitely need to work on mental stamina. My knee was pretty sore, and I think I would have struggled to wrap my head around going back out for a second loop. The Diablo race is two loops of the 25k loop. I'm not sure if the first loop would be worse seeing the elevation chart and let my mind imagine the climbs to come, or having seen it first hand and knowing I have to go back up on tired legs. I had been toying with a few races and leaning toward this one, now I feel like backing out and making a different choice based on the profile would be cowardly. I haven't found any race reports that might let me know what I was in for either. At least it'll make the other 50ks I want to hit this year seem better, and it could be great mental training for the 50 miler, since my confidence took a bit of a knock. Advice?

Still working on finding the perfect sock. The Feetures did well for me in combination with the body glide, but I think I felt a bit of a hotspot coming on. It didn't help that walking through the wet grass at check-in and getting soaked feet. I might have to tape big toes, so they don't get blisters. Had a nasty one that I felt on every downhill stride right on the pad (is that what it's called on people? The underside squishy bit of the toe). Other than that, feet looked good:
I need to start wearing gloves. While the cuts on my hands weren't bad, they were enough for me to not work yesterday. I had a new client, and a request. The new client was moved to a different therapist just in case, and after doing my request I know it was not the best massage I ever gave, and it was really awkward to both not use my hands and keep my knee comfortable. I put on a liquid bandage (OW!) but I still had to avoid that area.

At the advice of my bosses, before bed I put a honey dressing on them. It actually made a huge difference. I did the same thing with the bad knee, which I think is only as painful as it because the skin moves every step, I can bear all my weight without discomfort.




Looking much better, though much more swollen
 As far as gloves, I think I'll just cut the fingers off an old thicker pair of riding gloves for now. My hands get really hot when I run, but considering how much I fall it's lucky that usually my knees take the brunt of it. I'm not using ice and anti inflammatories unless I really have to, to see how quickly the swelling would go down by itself. I've been reading a lot about not using ice as a treatment unless it's absolutely necessary, so figured I would have an experiment of one to see what happens. I was hoping to get in at least one run before Nevada Derby, but this way I'll know if it's too soon.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the experience. I got to test the tailwind well, as well as my pack. My Superiors treated my feet well. I picked up (finally!) a pair of compression sleeves that I can wear while running, but voted not to use them Sunday since I hadn't tested them. Also got a new pink running skirt - reduced to $15 it would have been rude not to! Yay for new things :)

No comments:

Post a Comment