Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Lake Sonoma Training Run

Last Saturday (now a few weeks ago...), the organisers of the Lake Sonoma 50 planned a training run on the course. It was a free event, open to all runners, not just those registered for the race. We were meeting at a parking lot near the turn around point, and shuttling to the start line in however many cars we needed. There was one aid station about half way through, and the turns were marked, but no confidence ribbons. A while back the RD had sent out an email telling us where they had stashed 10 gallons of water for runners training on the course, and which of the horse troughs had potable water. They also laid out a rope for the deepest creek crossing. It was determined a week before the training run that it would be safer to do an out and back from the turnaround point on the race. Since this is the section of course I wanted to run that was ideal for me, I always start my training runs from the Start/Finish area, so am familiar with that section.
Misty start, already climbing
Not staying there the night before meant getting up a stupid o'clock and leaving shortly after. I didn't eat sufficient breakfast at home or in the truck, which didn't help later in the day. After a quick briefing from the RD about important things to note for the day, we were off. It was a like a race start with everybody tearing away, and it was so hard to pace myself and watch everyone leave. A little up, a little down, and it was lake crossing time. We had been forewarned that a couple of days ago, the RD had to swim this section for about ten yards. They gave directions for a way around by going back up the hill, um no thanks.
Uh, there's some lake in my trail..
It turned out to be not that deep, as long as you didn't wander into the lake bit of the lake - a few runners did get very wet trying to take a short cut. On the way back it was very refreshing, I was hat-dunking at any water stop. Keeping cool is going to be a big part of my race day.
Wading across
The Orange Mud pack was great, although not quite enough for the lack of aid stations. I really could have a used a third bottle on the way back. It was comfortable and didn't chafe even though I was in a t-shirt all day.
At least we'll have amazing scenery to enjoy
Cloud cover would be welcome on race day
There were some fun people on course to share miles with, so I had company for more than half the run. It was fun to hear lots of excited chatter about S's Mendocino Coast 50k.

It was very reassuring to feel strong on this run a week after a hard effort at Marin Ultra Challenge 50k. I was certainly tired at the end and ready stop, but on tired legs and under-fueled it was great training - 26 miles and about 5000'. I'm excited for the race this weekend, but due to various things, I've only run once in the last ten days. Guess I'm going with well-rested?

2 comments: