Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Thursday, April 7, 2016

50k Training Run

To round out my hat-trick of training runs, I planned my longest self-supported run. I have signed up for a 50k as a training run a few times, but my longest training run self supported has been 24 miles. I recruited some friends who all needed long runs that day in order to have company all the way. My chosen course? The Mendocino Coast 50k route! It's a beautiful course. Did I take pictures? Nope. Did I re-order tailwind in time? Nope. (Thank you T of former-training-buddy fame for saving me here.) Did I remember to eat appropriately the day before? Nope. Did I eat at all? Yes, six bananas blended with water. (Surprisingly satisfying, easy on my stomach, and helped me play fuel catch-up.) I was also convincing myself that my allergies were really bad, and that is why I had breathing/throat issues. I have since come to terms with the fact that I had some respiratory sickness, that finally made me take some time off. Being able to get through this run first was really good for my confidence though.
Love long runs with friends (Picture from D.L.)
Early start, picking S up at 5.15 (we had dropped his car at the point he would be finishing at the night before). The 2 of us ran the Headlands section around Mendocino, and met up with C and D at Russian Gulch. Through the campground, up North trail, and off to the waterfall, where B was waiting. The next section had a fun downhill, and a four mile section of mostly uphill. At the half way point, B and S peeled off, but H and M jumped in to run to the finish. They are both much faster than I am, but patiently toodled along with me. The wheels fell off a little in the last five miles, when I started experiencing a sharp pain in my shin. At first I put it down to having jabbed my shin into a fallen tree branch. I couldn't see any bruising though, and it had been a couple of hours. When the pain increased the further we ran, I opted to walk for a while, even though it was pretty flat terrain. Stress fracture was rolling around in the back of my head. Walking hurt it less. It did feel more like a soft tissue problem, and I went through a few range of motion tests to try and reassure myself. We ran some and walked some, and I finished my longest ever training run. If I had more time on Friday, I would have planted 2 aid stations instead of just 1. I was able to get by on what I had, but more would have been nice. I again found myself conserving in order to have enough to finish on.

2 comments:

  1. I think my longest unsupported training run is also in that marathon-ish distance. Love that you got friends to run with you at various points - I really need to make some local friends here that will run with me. It's such a good way to cement friendship and spend quality time together!

    I don't know if you saw but the endurance ride I was going to go to instead of Mendo 50K got cancelled....but now I'm so behind on training because of being sick so much this year (REALLY????? I'm NEVER sick and I feel like I've spent the last 5 months being sick at least once a month) AND because of the house there's not a chance in h3ll it's going to happen. :( ah well. There's always another race right????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my running friends are because of the 50k, hoping they want to continue trail running afterwards! Sucks about Sutter Buttes :( if you wanted to come volunteer and/or sweep a section with me you'd be most welcome. Are you going to Cache Creek?

      Delete