Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Happy New Year

2016 - I'm ready, are you? The year kicked off with a fun, mellow trail run on one of my favourite routes. I made the mistake of waiting for it to warm up a little. Hitting a popular trail at 10.30 meant I had plenty of company. I do like to see people enjoying our beautiful area, but have become accustomed to only seeing the occasional hiker, not multiple groups. Everyone was very friendly and seemed to be having a lovely day, and only one was a little tricky - five off leash dogs, and at no point did I see her with all five. This is not a dog-permitted trail but many people, including me when Rocko could go, takes dogs there. I often had him off leash, but he was always right with me, and leashed as soon as we saw someone. I have no problem with "rule-adjusting" when it's a dumb rule, but at least be responsible about it. This woman had way too many dogs and no idea that one of them was half a mile ahead of her, and none of them had a good recall. It was still a fabulous morning in the woods.

This morning I met S bright and early in Jackson State forest for seven or eight trail miles and some hills. Except it wasn't bright, it was still fairly dark at 7:00, and guess who forgot her headlamp? Luckily there was just enough ambient light to have a pretty good idea how to not fall down and before long I could see just fine. Successfully made it up the two mile hill, luckily it's not too steep and has occasional flat spots to take a breath. There's a creek crossing about a mile from the trailhead, that is usually low enough to skip over or use a rock in the middle as a stepping stone. Nope, not today. We did get to see some Coho salmon swimming past.

Then we had to figure out how to get across. There was no way around getting wet, and no way we were going to jump clear to the other side, but if we were going to get wet anyway we might as well try. My "try" was pretty pitiful though, and I have video to prove it...

I got a great ride in on my pony for New Year's Day, so all in all an excellent start to 2016. J started the wiring project on my truck, and didn't quite get it done but soon we'll be ready to go! I see lots of adventures coming this year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment