Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Monday, December 14, 2015

Lake Sonoma

Photo by Matt Trappe
Yippeee I got in to Lake Sonoma 50! It's a tough course, with no flat anywhere. 10,500' of climb, and 10,500' of descent. I have some hill training and heat training to do. It's actually the perfect run up race to San Diego 100, which will be hotter, but relatively less hill with only (only!) 13,470' of climb. For visual comparison of what I'm getting myself into:
Eeeep! It's also not unheard of for it to be pretty warm at Lake Sonoma, even hitting the 90s although it's only April. Guess I'll be hitting the sauna from mid-February...

LS50 is also a cupless race. One of the biggest problem with these races, and most running events in general, is the huge amount of waste generated. Ultra Adventures, who put on the Zion 100 as well as other events on my to-run list, are a zero waste event (those potties were interesting once there were a few miles on the legs...). Mendocino Coast 50k will also be a cupless race, featuring the same UltrAspire 6oz cup. No more non-recyclable dixie cups would be wonderful!
Dialing in my nutrition during training will also be a huge focus for me this time around. Fueling while training for Zion was pretty awful, thank you body for not bailing on me! Fortunately for me, S is a nutritionist and ultra runner, and shares tips with me on our Saturday adventures - I did point out that ideally I just need someone to follow me around and extract the bad choices from my hand before it hits my mouth. In the meantime I have to use my own brain, and am really shaking up my diet. I see a lot of fruit and far less cheeseburgers in my future... For example, on Saturday after a hilly 8, I had a banana on the drive home, followed by whizzing up 2 bananas, an apple, and a cup of strawberries with a cup or so of water. It took me forever to drink, but would have been even longer to eat! And there was meant to be an extra banana and apple in there. Yup, a whole lotta fruit, at least my sweet tooth is happy :)


It took me forever to figure out how to copy this picture over from Instagram, why can't I save my own photos? Much more effort than result, but now I know, yay smarts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment