Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Friday, May 2, 2014

Nearly Breakfast

As in, I was nearly breakfast. Okay, slight exaggeration, but I feel like being melodramatic. My alarm went off early. I got up, had my usual cup of coffee, and got dressed in my running clothes. I stopped at the store to grab a mid-run and post-run snack, and headed out to Russian Gulch. The plan was to do the nine mile loop twice, pausing at the truck to top off my hydration pack and get my snack in between. There was nobody else about this morning, and I was by myself. I didn't bring a dog due to the distance I was going for. Turned out, I only did seven and a half miles. I was quite peacefully running along the trail when movement ahead caught my eye. I stopped and watched something bound a short way up the trail ahead of me. Ooh, bobcat. Should get my camera... Then it turns and looks at me, and I register the tail and the distinctly non-bobcat face. Uhoh. You are a mountain lion, and a mini one at that. Why are you bouncing down my trail alone? You probably aren't alone. Oh @#$%, that means Mrs Mountain Lion is highly likely to be around here somewhere, and she'll be mad if she thinks I'm messing with her kid. Of course it darted off the trail into the shrubbery before I got my phone out my pack to snap a picture. I also got my pepper spray out (just in case, but felt like such a dork!) and cautiously continued down the trail. I kept an eye out around me just in case, and listened out for movement. I tried looking the direction the cub (/kitten, both terms are correct) to see if I could still get my picture but it had vanished. I decided to avoid risk and take the next trail back to the fire road and cut my run short for the day. I wasn't really feeling it anyway, so opted to spend some extra time stretching and hanging out with my foam roller. I haven't been rolling enough lately and have been feeling it, so thanks baby mountain lion. While you have done nothing to help convince me that I won't die a bloody death from your mauling one day, you were definitely adorable :) I think I might give Russian Gulch a miss for a little while...
Ok I know Simba isn't a cougar, but he fits my melodramatic need :)

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool/horrifying! Love it, glad you weren't breakfast!

    ReplyDelete