Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Recovery Week

Major lesson learned from Headlands 50 last week? Eat All The Food! While a main goal of running this race was to practice fueling with something other than tailwind, I did ok. I ate. Sporadically. Not enough. It was a few days before I was moving around like normal and still had a fake amount of fatigue in my legs by mid week. I'm still confident that my slow recovery was due to not taking in enough calories during and immediately after the run. I also didn't drink enough water after, the day after, and most if this week. I've at least tried to watch that the food I choose has some kind of nutritional value, and adding a giant green smoothie daily.

Big River
This week I experimented with samples I received from Gu Energy (stroopwafels) and Pacific Health Labs  (AccelGel), as well as fruit snacks. Yes, the little kid jelly things that the label tells you are healthy! If it's not something like whole fruit or potatoes, and I'm using it for fuel, it's probably not healthy. Delicious little sugar bombs.

I went for 2 shorter run/hike combos, one testing the new Black Diamond Distance-Z poles, and one that due to some, er, trail exploration, we added a bit more distance than my buddy was hoping for (though still short). By the weekend I was finally feeling good, and decided to try a mid-length back to back long run. Yesterday a 9-miler with Sid, some extra hiking to test the poles a little more. Slow but steady, body felt good. This morning I met Brie and Rachel for 5 miles along Big River, and then headed out for another 7 solo. Considering how sore I was for most of the week I'm happy with my 30 mile week, 21 of which were in 2 days.

Switching fueling methods makes me feel like a complete beginner again, it's taking a lot of getting used to. Fortunately it seems that I'm actually handling calories pretty well. I added a timer to my watch so it beeps every 25 minutes to remind me to have a snack - a big problem with Headlands was simply forgetfulness. Oh yeah, food, I should do that.
A moment of quiet in Russian Gulch
So much to learn. 100 miler in 47 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment