Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Big River Half

Wheee, redemption for Thursday's adventure. This morning was the 2nd Annual PAL Big River Half-Marathon/10k/5k. I opted for the half, as did several buddies, and other friends were there for the shorter distances. I went out too hard, but it felt ok so decided to stick with it and see what happened. The miles were clicking off, and while it wasn't as easy as when we started, the pace still felt manageable. I started setting interim goals such as make it to the 5 mile mark before I saw a speedy return runner (made it to 5.5). I checked my watch at the turnaround, saw I was on pace for a PR, which I had been hoping for. My goals for the day were to run the whole thing, maybe a water break (or pee if I had to!), and to shoot for a PR (2:11:xx - 2011). 
 
Today's successes:
  • PR - finishing time of 2:04:58
  • No walking - never not walked in a race, closest was the Whale Run 2015, about 5 strides there
  • No walking - the longest I've continuously run before was 8 miles
  • 3rd in Age Group
  • Negative split - first time, even if only slight. Hit the turnaround at 1:02:54

I did have a slow 1.5 miles where I dropped to 10:30/11:00 pace and couldn't make myself go faster, but I decided even if I got slower I wouldn't give in and start walking. Once I got to the last mile I found my reserve and was able to kick it in gear, deciding that my new goal was 2:05. Happy runner here today!


2 comments:

  1. Woot!!! That's a long ways to go without a walk break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially when it was averaging about 1:30 per mile faster than my usual pace lol. I can be on trail all day and all night but I rarely run long continuous stretches

      Delete