Motivators..

Motivators..
The best training partners come with waggy tails

Friday, February 28, 2014

Half or Full?

I've been having some pretty good runs lately. T and I went out to GPS a route that I had previously estimated at six, maybe seven miles. Yep, that was nine. Sorry, T. Then we set out to race ourselves at JugHandle (with Ruger running back and forth between us, wish I'd put my Garmin on him!). I managed to knock a little more of my time from last week and T set a new PR as well. It's been surprisingly warm and sweaty for February, enough for electrolyting to be on the mind. I have some new goals to work towards that will help keep me accountable, and a new nutrition product on the way to try out - Tailwind drink mix. Tailwind proclaims it is "All you need, all day. Really." Many reviewers comment at how much simpler their strategies have been, with some even commenting on setting 100-mile PRs with just this for their nutrition needs, no gummy tummy or super-bonking. It will be here Monday, so plenty of time for me to test it out prior to the super active end of March/beginning April coming up. Which brings me to goals.
Ruger and Remi on a 9miler break :)

March 15th is the Whale Run 5k, where I have a time in mind that I would like to achieve, then it's back to increasing distance. March 30th is Golden Gate Headlands Half-Marathon and Marathon. I'm pretty sure I want to go, but am not sure of the distance to sign up for. I'm planning on going out for a nice hilly long run tomorrow, and will let that be the guide for whether I can be marathon ready in a month. Part of my concern is that I have been offered, and accepted, a horse for one or two days of 50 mile endurance riding at the beginning of April. I won't get to meet the horse until Friday afternoon, though I am familiar with the saddle I'll be riding in and it's not ideal for me (sheepskin covers at the ready!). I've accepted, all going to plan, both days. Just to make life interesting, right? So do I stick to the half marathon and save myself, or do I go all-out-recovery the week between and do the full? I'm leaning towards the full, but will see how Saturday's long run goes and how I feel on Monday (yay for DOMS). This will also be a great test for the Tailwind. If it agrees with me I will use at the rides also, at a lesser dilution with food Saturday, and on it's own Sunday unless I start to crash.

I think I've settled on TNFEC 50 miler in December, as my goal race. I really want to get a 50 miler completed this year and aiming for this one doesn't exactly leave much wiggle room but it's close, not super expensive, and well organised. It's also tough. So will be looking for some 50k's over the summer, there's possibilities in May and July, and I would really like to do Skyline to Sea in October. Plus wanting to take Bugsy to Chamberlain Creek (September) and maybe Lake Sonoma (October) for some LD experience.

Busy busy busy!!!

3 comments:

  1. I've had that Tailwind stuff; they gave it out at some ride I did last year. Not a fair test, comparing riding to running, but it tasted palatable and seemed to work.

    Are you doing the Derby?! You must come find me and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing the Derby :) Figured I can test the Tailwind running first, and hopefully it crosses over, but I know certain things don't work in both for me - love bananas at rides but make me puke running, and don't come near me with a pbj at a ride, but if I'm on my own two feet I'll scoff them all lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long run test now pushed back to Monday due to shift change at work and going out of town Sunday! Lazy 45 minutes on the trail this morning instead :)

    ReplyDelete